Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Father's Dilemma

Part of me wants to let my children (who are all young-adults) figure it out on their own without intervention from me. Growth requires that they make some mistakes and learn from them.

Another part of me wants to rage and scream at the injustice of a world which sometimes causes them hurt.

And then there is that special part that is the father of a wonderful girl. That part just wants to throw down the gloves and say:
"If you break my little girl's heart, I will break you."
I try not to let that monster out...it scares me too much. Some of you fathers understand.

I wish I did.

Newbius

7 comments:

DaddyBear said...

Newbius, I feel your paint. My daughter turns 12 in August, and I live in fear that any day now she will change her opinion of boys from "idiots" to "neat".

Jay G said...

nods

Martin McPhillips said...

Relax with a viewing of "Taken" starring Liam Neeson, the ultimate in a father teaching the ultimate lesson about hurting his daughter.

Old NFO said...

Mine are 28 and 30... I STILL feel that way...

Teke said...

Mine are 7 and 2. I do not look forward to the day that I have to face the beast within and tell it no. Daddy's are there to fix problems for their little girls. Until the day when they can't. They can only be there for a hug and a shoulder to cry on.

Dave_H said...

Reminds me of an episode of the Andy Griffith show. Some low character cat was sniffing around his aunt, and the Sheriff had a conversation with him on the front porch, while he was cleaning his shotgun. As punctuation to the end of his talk he just happened to close up the action of the 12 gauge and brought the muzzle up to the guys face.

George said...

I lost my 12 year old daughter in an automobile accident 15 years ago. Good all you folks appreciate what you have. Hug them, and tell them you love them.