Monday, January 5, 2009

My Nerd is showing...

Umm...how do I say this?

Way back in the dark ages when I was in 5th or 6th grade, some nerdy kids in my school played this strange thing during lunch called Dungeons and Dragons. Well, that was more than 30 years ago and I thought I had completely avoided being associated with those kinds of people. (I've been a closet nerd all of my life though.)

Recently, my oldest son got into D&D. First with version 3.5, now with version 4. He and his friends (who are suspiciously like those kids in my elementary school - smart, kind of nerdy, slightly socially awkward, killer senses of humor, and, did I mention, SMART?) would come over to our house to run a game. It always sounded like lots of fun. But, you know, that nerd thing again.

I stayed upstairs and kept the pizzas flowing...

< SIGH >

I got invited to play last week. Twice.

Oh. My. God.

Talk about a screaming good time! What an absolute blast! I am now wondering what I have been missing for the last 30+ years. Really. It was that much fun.

So...

Tomorrow the adventuring party has to finally face this BEAST of a Ancient Red Dragon, who is more than a little annoyed about some things in his life and wishes to take it out on us...

Or something like that.

Now I am trying to figure out how to get my other kids interested. I think it would be a blast to have a family adventure once a week to kill beasts and loot the horde's treasure, and basically vent some frustration on some NPC's.

It's FUN. Really!

In the meantime, my Elf Ranger is honing his archery skills...

:)

Peace,

Newbius

No comments: