Monday, July 7, 2008

I love her. How do I tell her?

My daughter is amazing.

She is smart, witty, fun-loving and beautiful. She is also one of the most exasperating people I know.

We are having a little communication issue right now. I am hopeful that it is just her age, and the fact that I still insist on being her parent. I just don't know.

I still know her as my little girl, and she will forever be that to me. But, she is really a young woman trying to figure out her place in the world. That is just a little scary to me as her dad.

I know I have to let go a little and trust in her.

I hope that she has learned the important lessons we have tried to teach her about making good choices, and about living with the results. Today's society can be a scary place. I want her to grow (but not too quickly). I want her to mature and be comfortable with who she is. I want her to be confident. I want her to make bold choices and never fear failure. I want her to value commitment and honesty and faith and wisdom. Mostly, I want her to be happy.

So, I struggle with the communication thing with her. We no longer speak the same language. At least, the words do not seem to mean the same things they used to. I am going to keep trying though. Maybe we can find some common ground again, when one or both of us gets used to the new dynamic in our relationship.

Daughter, if you read this: I love you. I will always love you. Nothing you can say or do will ever make me stop loving you.

I am here for you when you are ready.

Dad

No comments: