Last night I ran the sound board for the praise band again. We are preparing for the Christmas Eve worship service and needed to chase a few gremlins away from the system.
Last Sunday, I was not happy with the mix. The lead singer was muddy and lacked definition, and the back-up singers did not harmonize well. I also heard second-hand that there were significant dead spots around the sanctuary where the vocals were even worse than what I was hearing (and I was chasing the settings all service to fix...). Unfortunately, we got a late jump on Sunday (due to the previous service running long), and could not do as thorough a sound-check as I would have liked.
Anyway...last night's practice went well. I had a chance to get the parametric equalizer adjusted properly, and the vocalists were much more clear as a result. I also had some time after getting the mix nailed down to adjust the side-fill monitors' levels and angles. As a result, I think the dead spots and muddy zones are all but eliminated. We'll see Saturday night.
Finally, I was able to get a board graphic from the lead tech, so that I could map the settings. We have different sound techs during each different service. Several of the channels get used for different things during the earlier service, and I need to be able to replicate my settings in the brief period available to me pre-service. Now that I have a base mapping to work from, it should be easier to spot the issues going forward.
The praise band likes working with me on the board, which is a nice compliment. So far, the congregation is pleased with the changes (even if I am unhappy with some aspects of them). I hope that our Worhip on Saturday goes well. Having the production be transparent lets the message come through much more clearly.