Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Questions

If Justice is truly blind, then why the need for politically-correct enhancements to existing crime laws? Is the assault, robbery, murder any more tragic if the victim is a member of a protected class? Is the crime any less tragic if the victim is not?

Are some people more equal than others?

Does enhancing the penalty for a crime today atone for the misdeeds of the distant past?

What passes today for Justice is not. The system is perverted to the will of those who are in, and those who are connected. It is the law of the jungle. As it ever was, except for a brief time in our history. This has to change of we are to survive and thrive.

Question: Do we as a nation have the fortitude, the will, the courage, to restore our Nation to the ideals of its founding? Do we have the courage to face Liberty, in all her messy guises, and declare ourselves a Free People once more? Or, would we rather suffocate slowly in our warm and comfortable prisons of Apathy and American Idolatry? Sadly, my guess is the latter.

Anybody care to prove me wrong?

Newbius
|||

3 comments:

last.box said...

I see a lot of folk in FREEFOR that have gone over the hill to go sulk. Tired of it.

Doing my part.

http://piratepad.net/LPFOWY0AjV

Join us. I know you have the technical skills. Your commentary is valued.

http://tns7i5gucaaussz4.onion/ep/pad/view/ro.ylsbWgSP6ae/latest

Obsidian said...

Dude, I see where you're coming from but I've spent the better part of the last year in Baltimore Co. Circuit Courthouse and you know how many hate crime cases I've observed?

None.

Or how many I've worked on personally while working for a trial court judge?

None.

How many I've heard of being worked on by somebody in the courthouse?

Again, none.

The kind of legislation makes for absorbing political theater on both sides of the aisle and maybe it plays for a couple of news cycles, but in practice I have seen these laws make absolutely no difference.

Newbius said...

Obsidian, you are making my point for me. The people who press for 'hate crime' legislation, or who push for enhanced penalties to make some crimes more illegal-er...do nothing but put on a show. Sadly, these are the same people who wish to disarm the law-abiding, and who want to make us dependent upon government for our sustenance.

Count me out.