Friday, February 27, 2009

I love Friday nights...

I really love Friday nights.

Friday is the day when I get to hang out with the coolest people I know: my teen-aged kids and their friends. In four or five hours, my batteries are totally recharged for another week in the trenches.

The standing deal is this: I make the pizza. 3, 4 or more, depending on group size. Hand-tossed dough, and sauces-yes plural-from scratch, plus whatever toppings they want.

They can invite any friends they want to have over for food, and music, and board or card games. The door is open to anybody they know who wants to be a guest for the evening.

Frankly, I think I get the better end of the deal.

I get to hang out with some of the brightest, freshest, most talented teenagers I have ever met. Their parents know that the kids are safe, and I know where my kids are on Friday night. Most of these friends go to Youth Group with my teens. They are really a wonderful group. So far, every one of the friends has earned a standing invitation to return.

What impresses me most though is their diversity of talent, thought, and world view. All have very clear thinking on the issues of the day. A lot of them are honors students. Some are musicians. Some sing in choir. Some are athletes. They have wonderful senses of humor, sparkling wit, and quick minds. Their parents did very well with every single one of them. I am proud that these are the people that my teens choose to be with.

If these kids are our Nation's future, we are going to be all right.

Here's hoping that your Fridays go as well as mine do.

Pax,

Newbius

No comments: