Monday, December 6, 2010

Going soft

Had a wonderful weekend with my youngest, home from college for a couple of days. After putting up the trees for Christmas, we took a photo of her. Then, to make her other commitments, she gathered her things into the car and left. And I shed some tears.

I know I am getting older. Do I have to get softer, too? Yes, I cry during Disney movies. Always have. But, I am not generally known for getting weepy just because my little girl drives off. Not usually. Why tonight?

The house seems much colder and more empty tonight in the stillness of her absence. Like a bright summer day was replaced by a cold winter night, all in the time it took for her car to climb the drive and go. Her perfume still hangs faintly in the air.

Now I am sitting here, staring at the lights of the tree...

5 comments:

John Venlet said...

Ah, don't consider your response to your daughter's visit and leaving as softness, consider your response as a manifestation of the depth of your love, and then consider the blessings received through your daughter as a display of the splendor of living.

Jay G said...

It's not "soft" to care about your kids, nor to miss them, Newbius.

George said...

Rejoice in the fact you got to visit with her, and even cry about it.

Old NFO said...

Agree with all the previous posters... The other thing is they DO grow up, even if we don't want them to, and start their own lives separate from us. Enjoy the time and company when it's available... BTDT twice...

On a Wing and a Whim said...

If that's soft, God save you from ever being hard. It's never a bad thing for a man to love his children, or to miss them.