Thursday, August 6, 2009

Astroturf???

I've got some Astroturf for you, and it didn't come from the back of Bill Clinton's El Camino.

As highlighted by Michelle Malkin here, the Democrats are accusing the REAL grassroots of doing what THEY do with impunity. Except this time I think it will backfire. The conservative backlash against both Democrats and Republicans who are pushing for Health Care "reform" as envisioned by Henry Waxman is a true "grass roots" effort, not some top-down push for activists to engage like the President is doing.

However, in accordance with the President's directive, I DO plan to get involved. So, I followed the link in the article to "Organizing for America", the DNC website for volunteers to engage in advocating the health care plan.

I have registered, and I hope to be contacted by the DNC advising me where the next dog and pony show will occur. I suggest that you do the same.

As an aside, the email came from the President (someone I would consider as falling under the category of a "Candidate or Candidate's Committee"), and I believe that it is in direct contravention of the disclaimer at the bottom of the page, reprinted here in its entirety:

Paid for by Organizing for America
A project of the Democratic National Committee -- 430 South Capitol Street SE, Washington, D.C., 20003. This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee


Once you sign up with your name, email address, phone number and zip code, you are then dropped right into a fundraising page with a request for donation to Barack Obama's campaign.

Since the letter came from the president, and the action button to "volunteer" takes you right to a donation request page, is this in violation of any campaign finance laws? Just askin'...

Anyway, get involved and make your voice heard. Let's use the tools that the left has put into place for our own purposes and get the inside scoop on upcoming plans. I can guarantee you that the Democrats will get press coverage at THEIR town halls. So let's show up and remind them whom they work for.

Pax,

Newbius

No comments: